Rawat Fort is located in Pothohar Pakistan. The fort was built in early 16th century by Gakhars, a designated warrior clan raised by local tribes to defend the Pothohar plateau. The grave of the Gakkar chief, Sultan Sarang Khan is present within the fort.
It is 17 km east of Rawalpindi on Grand Trunk Road.
The fort was the scene of a battle between the Gakhar chief Sultan Sarang and Afghan king Sher Shah Suri in 1546 AD.
The fort is almost in square form and has two gates. It contains a mosque made up of three big dome shaped rooms. There is also a quadrangular building with a dome. Along the wall there are additional small rooms. In the center of the fort there are many graves. Among them is the tomb of Sultan Sarang Khan. His 16 sons, who died there fighting, are also buried inside the fort.
Mankiala stupa can be seen from the roof of the mosque as it is few kilometers from here.