The Tomb of Jahangir is a mausoleum built for Jahangir, who ruled the Mughal Empire from 1605 to 1627. The mausoleum is located in Shahdara Bagh in Lahore. The tomb of the fourth great Mughal Emperor Jehangir,
lies five kilometers northwest of the city centre across the Ravi River, along GT Road at Shahdara. Abot 700 metres past Toll Plaza on the Ravi Bridge, turn right and follow the road for 600 meters before turning left to cross the railway line.
Emperor Jahangir was buried according to his last wish: in Lahore, in Noor Jahan's old pleasure garden known as Dilkusha Garden. The mausoleum is located at Shahdara on the banks of the Ravi, three miles northwest of the city. The east gateway in the Akbar/Jahangir serai quadrangle, with its tall Timurid aiwan, leads into an enormous garden 1540'x1540', in the centre of which stands the magnificent sepulcher of Jahangir, considered by some to be the "finest ornament of Lahore," and the "most magnificent edifice in the subcontinent after the Taj and the Qutub.
The region was a "favourite spot" of Jahangir and his wife Nur Jahan, when they lived in this city. When Jahangir died in 1627 in Rajaur, near Lahore, he was initially buried in Dilkusha Garden. But his son Shan Jahan, ordered that a "mausoleum befitting an Emperor" should be built in his honour.
Though contemporary historians called Shah Jahan the builder of this tomb, it is "more likely to have been the result of Nur Jahan's vision". Taking inspiration from her father's burial place, she is said to have designed the mausoleum in 1627. She influenced the architecture and the gardens of the monument as she became a resident of Lahore after Jahangir's death. It took ten years to build the tomb and costed Rs 10 lakh. The construction started in 1627 and ended in 1637. It was "probably funded" by the imperial treasury or, Noor Jahan might have herself funded it.
About 700 meters further on is the massive Mughal gateway. The fresco-covered gateway of red bricks leads into Akbari Sarai built by Shah Jehan in 1937. It is a specious garden quartered by footpaths and planted with huge chiar, shisham, peepul and Banyan trees. Around the four sides are 180 small rooms, This enclosure leads to another one, on the Western side, giving full view of the garden in front of the mausoleum, which is traversed by four bricked canals proceeding from the center, and in which many fountains were placed which are now ruined. The corridor around the mausoleum is adorned with a very elegant mosaic, representing flowers and verses from the Quran.
The mausoleum is a building with one floor. The ground floor has a square shape. Its structure consists of a platform with a tall, octagonal tower and a projecting entrance in the middle of each side. The exterior of the mausoleum, including the lowest stage of the towers, is clad with red sandstone facing with rich panel decoration inlaid with marble decorative motifs. The four corners of the tower, with the white marble cupolas, rise in five stages to a height of 100 feet (30m) with a zigzag inlay of white and yellow marble. The building is divided into a series of vaulted compartments. The interior is embellished with floral frescoes with delicate inlay work and marble of various colours.
Inside the mausoleum is the white marble cenotaph with its delicate and colourful Pietra Dura flowers.
The Photo Gallery
The Video Link
Video Cradet: SN Bukhari