Ghawari (sometimes called Ghowari, Gowari, Oaree, Wali, and Gwali or Tibetan, Va-le) is derived from two Balti words gawa means "open" and ri means "village," so it is basically a big valley. It is a small agricultural town and oasis situated in Ghanche District,
Baltistan, Pakistan. It is well known as a center of Islamic scholarship and learning. The left bank of the Shyok opposite Kuru is located. Today Ghawari and Kuru are connected by a bridge passable by car. Ghawari in the past belonged to the dominion of Kiris. Since Ghawari is located on the left side of the Shayok and neither Khaplu yet to Skardu had an easy walk-in access, it was fortunately on the right side of the Shyok along attracting hordes of periodic flare-Baltistan in wars of the 17th and 18th century largely spared.
The people of Ghawari are all Muslim and belong to the Ahl-e-Hadees ,shia and noorbakhsaa sects of Islam. Jamia Daru Uloom Baltistan is also located in Ghawari. The Jamia Darul Uloom Baltistan Ghowari is First & Great Islamic University in Gilgit Baltistan. The Jamia provides shelter and food to poor people and needy students of Baltistan and has a network of Projects for the Welfare of People of Baltistan. This institution is considered a headquarters for the supervision of Salafis of Baltistan. A number of students who have completed their education from this institution are serving throughout the country and at international level. But unfortunately the top ranked molanas of the region have created monopoly all over the district and educational institutions. They are rich as well as authoritative in term of dictatorship.
Ghowari Tauheedabad Farm House
One of the most noted feature of ghowari is due to its "Tauheedabad Farm House" located at Manjhar,Ghowari. A large number of fruits and especially cherry is exported to other cities of Pakistan from this farm house.
Another important and well-known development in the hub of Ghowari is due to its livestock, where a number of cows are kept to produce quality milk. The milk is exported in different parts of Ghowari as well as Skardu city.the "OX" is also kept for repordection for public cows.
Population and culture
The most populated and big valley in Ghanche District in North Pakistan. Due to suitable climate and gate way of Siachen valley Ghowari is the most attraction and growing valley in Khaplu Region. The population of this valley is approximately 5000 houses. There is one Government high school for boys ,one for girls and college for girls. Most of the students are gaining education from other cities of Pakistan due to less facility of institutional situation in this area. Ghowari was first called to the Oaree in 1842 by John Walter after the details of Godfrey Thomas Vigne on behalf of the East India Company created map "Kashmir; With its passport; Ladak and Little Tibet, the Mountain Course of the Indus, and the Alpine Pajab generally "below. Map of Francke (1926) the site is listed as a Wali. In 1951, the population was 1621 persons. In 1961 1691 people were counted (Afridi (Ghawari), p. 278). Today that number is expected to be considerably larger, approximately 12,000. In historical sources is Gowari only a mention in connection with events from 1811. Ladakhi troops advanced as far as Kuru Kuru and arranged and Gowari (Va-le) in its domain.
The new main road connecting the western and eastern Baltistan runs along the left side of the river by Shayok Gowari, which led to the establishment of numerous businesses along the new link road. The old center is a few hundred meters from the new road and away from road traffic between Skardu and Khaplu untouched. Here is also an old -Khanqa prayer hall, which is immediately adjacent to the old town square.