The Qasim Fort is a small fort constructed in the 18th century by the Talpur dynasty when the port of Karachi traded with Oman and Bahrain. The fort was stormed by the British in 1839 because of the strategic location of Karachi. Although the it is
now buried beneath the naval base there, the lighthouse is a visible reminder of the British presence, having been built in 1889 to assist vessels approaching Karachi harbour.
The history of modern-day Karachi begins with this fort. On 1 February 1839 a British ship, the Wellesley, anchored off the island of Manora. By 3 February, the fort at Kolachi had surrendered without firing a single shot and this small fishing village reached a turning point in its history.